With the latest news on the royal pregnancy being that the Duchess of Cambridge is looking into hypnobirthing for the birth of the couple’s first child next month, interest in this birthing method is due to sky-rocket.
Here at Souvenir Press we publish Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan, founder of the HypnoBirthing programme. HypnoBirthing – The Mongan Method is now in its twentieth year, and has to date helped thousands of couples through its practice. The book from the USA was first published in Britain by Souvenir Press in 2007, and has already been reprinted eleven times in the UK, due to its overwhelming popularity.
So, what is hypnobirthing?
Hypnobirthing is a complete birth education programme, that teaches simple but specific self hypnosis, relaxation and breathing techniques for a better birth. It teaches positive thinking, visualisation, breathing and physical preparation exercises that will leave you confident and free of the fear of pain that most women assume to be a natural accompaniment to birth. It is designed to put you in control of your birth, so that you are always be aware of what is happening to you, and around you.
Why is it so good?
If, like the Duchess of Cambridge, you are keen to have a natural birth, HypnoBirthing methods can be used by the 95% of families whose pregnancies fall into the normal, no- or low-risk categories. It can teach you many things that are not covered in normal antenatal classes, including:
- Breathing techniques that actually help the birth (and it’s not the panting that most people think they have to do. Think about it – why would anyone want to hyperventilate during labour?)
- How to massively reduce the need for any medication at all
- How to reduce your risk of needing an episiotomy during birth with a stunningly simple massage technique
- How to be confident and informed when dealing with the medical staff – when to question, what to ask…and when it’s time to let them take charge
- How to release any fears you might have about childbirth…regardless of where they come from
- How to bring about your own easy start of labour with these simple, natural techniques, if you go beyond your “estimated due date”
- Most importantly, you’ll know how to relax and stay calm and in control – regardless of what’s happening around you
(List taken from the HypnoBirthing UK website)
To learn more about hypnobirthing, take a look at the HypnoBirthing UK – The Mongan Method website, or visit the Souvenir Press website to read more about the best-selling book that will introduce you to the methods taught in the HypnoBirthing classes.